Mrs. Joan De Mel – Founder
Sumithrayo, a Government approved charity was founded by the Late Mrs. Joan De Mel in 1974. From its humble beginnings at Deans Road, Colombo 10, on premises loaned by the Ceylon Social Services League, Sumithrayo is now housed at no 60B Horton Place, Colombo 07, which was gifted by it’s beloved founder – Joan de Mel. The organization was incorporated by an Act of Parliament No.10 of 1986.
- Fewer people die by suicide
- People are able to explore their feelings
- People are able to acknowledge and respect the feelings of others
Our Values are based on three beliefs
- The importance of having the opportunity to explore difficult feelings
- That being listened to in confidence and accepted without prejudice can alleviate despair and suicidal feelings
- That everyone has the right to make fundamental decisions about their own life, including dying by suicide
The Service is delivered 365 days of the year by trained unpaid Volunteers. it is non-religious, non-political and FREE OF CHARGE.
Mel Medura:a Drug Demand Reduction Programme was set up in 1984 by Sumithrayo of 60B, Horton Place, to cope with the increasing problem of drug use in the country and to help persons who are experiencing difficulties arising from drug use as well as to introduce a wide range of steps to minimize the social value placed on drug use. The office is located at No. 60 Horton Place, Colombo 07.